Machine Learning Engineer
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is looking for a machine learning engineer to bring modern methods to bear against many of the challenging decision making problems that are central to the company's core backend flight tracking software. This software processes over 40 million incoming messages per hour from over 45 individual data feeds (over 150 gigabytes a day and growing) to provide the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry. You'd be working in a hybrid role of machine learning engineer, software developer, and analyst. Primary responsibilities:
- Take end-to-end ownership of machine learning systems from data pipelines and training to real-time prediction engines.
- Identify new opportunities to apply machine learning to different pieces of the FlightAware product spectrum.
- Work with other backend developers to robustly and scalably integrate your work into production systems.
- Develop a deep understanding of FlightAware's data processing infrastructure.
- Detect data quality issues, identify their root causes, develop fixes, refine your models, and design auditing to prevent future issues.
- Act as a full member of a software development team.
- Mentor and teach other developers in the areas of machine learning, statistics, etc. Act as a guide and resident expert on these topics.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, statistics, mathematics, or equivalent experience.
- Several years of industry experience in machine learning or a related field or equivalent academic credentials.
- Strong theoretical and practical grasp of the mathematical foundations of machine learning algorithms.
- Previous experience building end-to-end machine learning systems.
- Knowledge of Python or Scala, or the ability to learn them quickly.
- Experience with Spark a plus, but not required.
- Familiarity with Unix and scripting languages.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and plowing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current, but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is a priority.
Being a pilot, or an individual looking to pursue his or her private pilot license, is a big plus.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. Our kitchen is always stocked with snacks and beverages. You also get to use top-of-the-line Apple computers. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: Machine Learning Engineer - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.