IoT Software Developer (ADS-B Team)
Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
Join our world class team of aviation geeks and big data nerds! Our mission is to source data from around the world and turn it into information that empowers aviation. As an IoT software developer at FlightAware, you will build software for our terrestrial ADS-B network which services over 23,000 devices worldwide and processes over 100,000,000 aircraft position messages per hour. Our very popular end-user software is built to run on Raspberry Pi devices.
About the FlightAware ADS-B Team
The FlightAware ADS-B team is a unique cross-functional team that enables real-time acquisition of worldwide ADS-B data for use in all of FlightAware’s flight tracking products. The team designs, manufactures, ships and supports specialized ADS-B reception hardware for FlightAware-owned assets as well as aviation enthusiast hobbyists. As a software developer on the ADS-B team you will be responsible for the software the runs on FlightFeeder hardware as well as PiAware which is used on hobbyist hardware.
Who will be successful in this role:
- a creative problem solver that enjoys developing solutions to software challenges at scale.
- passionate about creating rock solid code with automated testing built in.
- high appreciation for the elegance of a well-thought-out design.
- flexible and enjoy working on a variety of software products.
- effective communicator and team player.
- Develops and maintains IoT device software in support of the ADS-B network (PiAware and FlightFeeder).
- Develops and maintains server-side software for the processing of incoming messages from the ADS-B receiver network including transmission of data to downstream consumers within FlightAware and upstream to remote ADS-B feeder sites.
- Liaises with the electrical engineer to coordinate the development and support of software that is compatible with FlightAware ADS-B radio receiver hardware and related components.
- Provides tier 3 technical support when complex technical issues are escalated by the customer support team.
- Collaborates with members of the ADS-B team and other FlightAware teams to develop integrated software solutions.
- Creates and maintains technical documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer engineering, electrical engineering or a closely related field.
- Experience with flight tracking software (e.g., FlightAware, PiAware, Virtual Radar Server, Planeplotter, dump1090, etc.).
- Ability to assemble, configure, operate and troubleshoot PiAware and FlightFeeder ADS-B data feeder devices without assistance.
- Effectively prioritize and organize one’s own work.
- Build and maintain effective working relationships.
- Create and maintain accurate data related to work processes and outputs.
- Set and maintain consistent quality standards.
- Recognizes inefficient or suboptimal processes and recommend improvements.
- Excellent English communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Proficiency with standard office productivity software (word processing, spreadsheets, e-mail, etc.).
- Ideal candidates will have:
- Aviation industry knowledge/experience, in particular Mode S/ADS-B/multilateration, or other radio data communications software experience.
- Experience with radio receiver equipment including installation and configuration (e.g., radio scanner receivers, RTL-SDR USB devices, etc.).
- Signal processing (electrical engineering) experience.
- Strong math skills.
- Big data and IoT device experience.
- Experience with Tcl, Python, C/C++, UNIX shell scripting, Kafka, Raspbian Linux, Git.
- Agile software development experience.
- Test-driven development/automated testing experience.
Salary varies based on experience and background.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
To apply and provide a small demonstration of your technical prowess, send your application to:
by setting the content of the
data variable to valid JSON with the following properties:
name: String with your name (required)
email: String with your email address (required)
position: String with the position you are applying for (required)
urls: Array of strings with links to your resume (required), along with any personal sites, sample projects, or your Github profile
comment: String with any comment/request you might have (optional)
You will receive a 200 response on success.