Position is at FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX
FlightAware is hiring a UI/UX designer to create the next generation of aviation web applications in Houston, TX. FlightAware is a digital aviation company, providing the best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service in the industry. Over 15 million people a month rely on our website and apps to make intelligent decisions about travel.
We’re looking for someone who:
- Has a passion for usability, an eye for visual consistency, and a knack for reducing the complex to the bare essentials.
- Anticipates and resolves issues and problems that arise, suggesting alternative approaches and solutions.
- Is able to meet business objectives with polished designs on time and on-brand.
- Seeks out new tools and techniques to facilitate work.
- Is resourceful, well organized, receptive to feedback, and has a can-do attitude.
In this position, you’ll:
- Collaborate with the design team on the user experience and visual appearance of FlightAware’s existing and upcoming digital products.
- Participate in every part of a project’s design process: research and discovery, presenting findings, design, working closely with developers to execute, and testing and refining of the final product.
- Translate usability and field research findings into design improvements.
- Create sketches, user flows, wireframes, design comps, interaction designs, and high fidelity prototypes for applications and products and features within them.
- Provide creative solutions in strategy discussions.
- Design solutions that align with FlightAware brand.
- Manage multiple projects simultaneously and coordinate with cross-functional teams.
- Work within an iterative, Agile environment.
- Attend required meetings and maintain open communication about project status.
- 4+ years of experience in user-centered research, testing and design for responsive, cross-browser, and mobile experiences.
- A strong portfolio showcasing expertise in UI/UX design.
- Proficiency in design and prototyping tools such as Sketch, Adobe XD, Invision, and Webflow .
- An understanding of HTML & CSS and familiarity with front end frameworks is a plus.
- Knowledge of responsive, adaptive and accessible design best practices.
- Up to date with emerging UI/UX design trends and processes.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to explain rationale behind design decisions.
- Familiarity working within established brand standards.
Professionally, you’re driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed. You’re naturally curious, exploring new technologies and design methodologies, but always ensuring that execution is priority.
- Matching 401(k)
- Health and dental insurance
- Performance-based bonuses
We have fascinating engineering problems and have released a bunch of open source projects. We’re a fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant. This profile of us by 37signals is a good overview of who we are.
FlightAware is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
Our open positions are closed to agency/third-party submissions.
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject "Application: UI/UX Designer - FlightAware Headquarters - Houston, TX". Attach your resume in Adobe PDF, Microsoft Word, or HTML format.